We currently support devices that use the ESP32 and the nRF52 microcontrollers. Both of these offer low power consumption and long battery life, but each come with their own advantages:
The following ESP32 devices are supported:
- Lilygo TTGO T-Beam - 1.1 (including M8N GPS and SX1262 LoRa variants)
- Lilygo TTGO Lora - versions 1, 1.3, 2.0, 2.1-1.6
- Heltec LoRa 32 (V2)
Supported but not encouraged:
- Lilygo TTGO T-Beam - version 0.7 -- Very old, no power management chip, difficulty with GPS module and is frequently confused with other devices.
- Strong hardware/software support, as these devices have been on the market for a longer period of time
- Wi-Fi capable, with full web interface support
- Numerous 3D printed case designs are available
- Range Test module is supported
- Devices do not use Bluetooth 5.0 (BLE), as such may may draw more power
The following nRF52 devices are currently supported:
- Smaller, more compact designs are available
- Draws 90-95% less power compared to ESP32
- Very low Bluetooth power usage due to Bluetooth 5.0 (BLE)
- Strong manufacturer documentation for RAK Wireless products
- No Wi-Fi without additional hardware, the Web interface can only be used via the Serial connection option.
- Newer hardware, as such less software-side support.
- Currently, cannot be used with the Range Test module.
- Fewer 3D printed case options.