Meshtastic uses the littlefs library to store configuration, logs, and other data in the internal flash of nRF52 devices. Updating the firmware does not erase this additional data, which can cause issues when the format and location of data changes between releases.
To reset the flash storage on your nRF52 board:
Download and unzip the latest firmware from Meshtastic Downloads.
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB data cable.
- Double click the reset button on your device (this will put it into bootloader mode)
- Notice a new drive will be mounted on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux)
- Open this drive and you should see three files:
- Copy the included file named
Meshtastic_nRF52_factory_erase.uf2onto the virtual disk device. The device should reboot.
- Connect to the device via serial console using the Meshtastic CLI
--noprotomode or a standalone serial client like
- Press any key, you should see the message:
Once the device has been erased, you can proceed to install the latest Meshtastic firmware on a clean storage filesystem by clicking the link below.