This document is a WIP.
If you’d like to do ‘real’ releases with your changes, the procedure is:
- Update protobufs
git checkout master && git pull
git add proto
git commit -m "updating proto submodule to latest"
- edit version.properties to set release version
- commit and push (or merge) to root of repo - this should cause GitHub to start a release build (see the CI actions)
- edit the draft release text and click publish
- Add repository secrets
- name of the .jks
- we will convert the .jks to base64
- openssl base64 < filename.jks | tr -d '\n' | tee filename.txt
- storePassword=nononononono keyPassword=nononononono keyAlias=upload storeFile=nononononono.jks
Instructions - Automated
- Update protobufs
- Go to Actions / Make Release / Run Workflow
- Pick the Releases branch
- Enter the version found in app/gradle.build
meshtastic-flasher release consists of publishing the release to PyPi https://pypi.org/project/meshtastic-flasher/ as well as producing single-executable files that are downloadable from Github https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-gui-installer/releases.
Instructions - automated
- Go to Actions / Make Release / Run Workflow https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-gui-installer/actions/workflows/release.yml
- Draft & Publish release https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-gui-installer/releases
A python release consists of publishing the release to PyPi https://pypi.org/project/meshtastic/ as well as producing single-executable files that are downloadable from Github https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-python/releases.
No pre-requisites are needed locally to make a release. All builds are done via Github Actions currently.
To test/validate, you will need to run:
pip3 install -r requirements.txt
pip install .
Update protobufs by running the "Update protobufs" workflow in Actions: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-python/actions/workflows/update_protobufs.yml
run the "smoke1" test (optional):
connect one device to the serial port and run:
pytest -m smoke1
run unit tests:
run bin/test-release.sh (optional)
Run the "Make Release" workflow in Actions: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-python/actions/workflows/release.yml
After the "Make Release" is done, go into Releases: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-python/releases There should be a draft. Add the title, update the "What's Changed" (Tip: Click on the "Auto-generate release notes" button.). Uncheck the "This is a pre-release" (if applicable).
You need permissions in the GitHub project to make a build
Releases are automatically generated for every commit as per out CI. This performs two actions: